PET POLICY, APPLICATION, REGISTRATION & RULES
Print or view KOPRC’s Pet Policy in PDF format
Tenants may have common household pets in their units. KOPRC does not discriminate against applicants or tenants based on their ownership of a pet.
Assistance animals are exempt from the pet rules and pet deposit. However, tenant must comply with state and local health and safety laws and must be responsible for the care and maintenance of the animal. Assistance animals must be under control by the responsible person and appropriately restrained while in/on common areas. Proof of proper inoculations must be provided to the owner prior to the animal’s arrival and updated annually.
Management retains the right to verify the applicant or resident has a disability and there is a disability-related need for the requested accommodation of an assistance animal. Documentation of the disability and the need for the animal may be required by an appropriated third party.
Type of Pets Allowed: Dog, cat, fish, birds, turtles, small household animals.
Limitations on Pets
- Dogs must weigh under 40 pounds and stand under 20 inches at the top of the shoulders. Maximum number – One (1). Minimum age – three months. Must be housebroken.
- Cats must be a domesticated variety – size within reason. Maximum number – One (1). Minimum age – three months. Must be litter box trained.
- Fish-Tanks shall not exceed 10 gallons in size.
- Birds – Limit of one, not to exceed 12 inches. Wings must be clipped.
- Small “rodents” (Hamsters, Gerbils, Mice, and Guinea Pigs) or “lagomorphs” (rabbits) –
Limited to one type, two in number. Must be caged.
- Turtles-Limit oft wo, caged.
- Absolutely no birds of prey, reptiles, monkeys, rats, dangerous or poisonous fish or other
exotic or undomesticated animals of any type will be permitted.
- Pet Application/Registration Form, approval for housing a pet, completion of a pet policy & rules and payment, or arrangement for payment, of the refundable pet deposit is due when the pet is brought to the unit. Application/Registration Form must be completed prior to the pet living on the premises and must be updated annually. Pet owners are responsible for providing management with required documents in a timely manner.
- Applicant must certify their ability to control, clean, and care for the pet.
- Applicant must provide the name, address, and phone number of a person who agrees to take the pet from the building in case of absence (over 24 hours) of the pet owner for any reason. This information will be verified by the management. Additionally, this information must be updated annually to management during the recertification process for Section 8 residents. Market residents will be contacted by the office to update this information during their anniversary month.
- Management will need to personally see and evaluate a pet for temperament, behavior, quietness, response to owner, etc. Home visits may be required. Evaluation is to verify that the pet does comply with the selection criteria, that it appears to be in good health and well cared for and that it is well behaved and under the control of the owner. Overly aggressive, rambunctious or unfriendly animals will not be accepted.
- Applicant is responsible for the proper disposal of pet waste as outlined in the pet rules. Failure to comply may result in a $5 penalty charge per occurrence.
- If, after reviewing application information, the management determines that a resident intends to own or keep a common household pet in the dwelling unit and the pet constitutes a serious threat to the health and safety of others, management will refuse to register the pet.
Refundable Pet Deposits
Payment of a refundable pet deposit is due no later than the time the pet is brought to the unit. Pet deposit for dogs and cats is $300 per unit. This deposit is over and above the security deposit amount required by the Department of Housing and Urban Development for apartments. A monthly payment plan is available requiring a down payment of $50.00 followed by regular monthly payments of $10.00 each month until paid in full. The refundable pet deposit is required for dogs and cats only.
Within fourteen days after the termination of the rental agreement and vacation of the premises the landlord shall give a full and specific statement of the basis for retaining any of the deposit together with the payment of any refund due to the tenant under the terms and conditions of the rental agreement. Additionally, should the pet no longer live in the unit, upon request by the tenant and after an inspection by management, an accounting of any charges due will be given along with a refund of the remaining balance on hand, within fourteen days.
General Information for Pet Owners
- All pet owners wishing to take up residency in this community and those now residing here will adhere strictly to the rules and regulations of Knights of Pythias Retirement Center, the State of Washington ownership laws, and other laws as they may apply and be adopted in the future.
- Pet owners will be responsible for the financial and physical caring of their pets, damage incurred by their pets or legal claims, actions, suits, judgments, and demands brought about in connection with their pet.
- Any exceptions or unusual requests to the pet rules and regulations will be the final decision of the administrator.
- Resident must agree to abide by all applicable Pet Rules and Regulations.
- Resident has completed a Pet Application & Registration form and has been granted permission by Landlord to keep the pet(s) specified below under the following terms and conditions:
- Pets may not be kept, bred, or used for any commercial purpose. All pets must be spayed or neutered.
- Your apartment and this community will be kept in a safe, clean, healthy and sanitary condition at all times. All health and safety codes must be met and followed.
- All pets are encouraged to wear I.D. tags bearing the name of the owner and apartment number. Any unsupervised pet found in the common areas without an I.D. tag will result in the animal being turned over to the animal shelter.
- All animals must be under the control of a responsible person.
- All pets must be under leash control or crated at all times when outside the owner’s apartment.
- No pet will be allowed to use balcony areas as a relief or exercise area.
- No pet will be left alone unattended outside on the balcony or patio at any time.
- Precautions will be taken at all times by the pet owner to protect the interior of the apartment and common areas of our community.
- Persons who walk pets are responsible to clean up all waste. Place waste in a plastic bag, and dispose of it in the designated area. Do not dispose of waste, including kitty litter, fish tank gravel, pet pads, etc., down the trash chutes or down the commode. Dispose of it in the garbage can in the first floor hallway by the back elevator or in the outside dumpster.
- Resident agrees to keep his pet under control at all times so that pets do not jump on, frighten, or annoy others by excessive barking or other aggressive behavior.
- For sanitary reasons, absolutely no pets are allowed in the dining room or dining room lounge area at any time. This policy does not include assistance animals.
- Pets that disturb the peace and quiet of the neighbors through noise (barking, whining, etc.), smell, animal waste, and biting, scratching, or any other nuisance must be immediately removed from the community.
- If it is determined that the pet is abandoned, management will make every attempt to contact the responsible party first, but if those efforts fail, the pet will be removed to the local animal shelter.
- Absolutely no used dog waste bags will be permitted in the building. Please dispose of pet waste in the containers provided outside.
- The pet agreement addendum authorizes the owner and/or public officials’ entry to your apartment for the purpose of removing a pet that has been left unattended or whose health is in danger because of poor care, neglect, or abuse.
- It is the sole responsibility of the pet owner to make arrangements for their pet’s care while away from the community at any time (on vacation, during hospital stays, etc.) Your pet caregiver may not stay in your apartment during your absence. Our staff cannot be the caretaker of your pet.
- Upon move-out, if any evidence of fleas is detected, the unit will be flea bombed at the expense of the resident. If necessary, multiple treatments will be done.
- Resident agrees to provide adequate care, nutrition, exercise and medical attention for pets, including proper immunization.
- Resident also acknowledges that other residents may have chemical sensitivities or allergies or are easily frightened by such animals. Use common sense and respect the rights of others.
- Birds will not be allowed to fly free in the apartments, hallways, or common spaces or courtyards.
- In case of death, a family member must claim the pet within a thirty-six (36) hour period.
Violations of the Rules and Regulations
- All complaints will be promptly investigated.
- An inspection may be performed in order to determine if a violation has occurred.
- Upon discovery of any violation of the rules and regulations, any damage created by
the pet will be noted, cost of repairs determined and the pet owner notified.
- Resident will receive a ten (10) days notice to comply with their lease provisions in order to properly accomplish repairs to the satisfaction of the management, with a re- inspection at the end of the ten days.
- If repair has been properly accomplished, notice will be filed in resident folder.
- At the end of the ten (10) days, if the repair has not been accomplished, pet owner will be notified that he is in violation of his lease and will instigate proper repairs within ten (10) days or his lease can be terminated with this community.
- Re-inspection will take place at the end of the second ten (10) day period. If repairs have not been properly completed to the satisfaction of the management, pet owner will be served with proper paperwork that his lease will be terminated.
- Pet owners will be given the option of having the repairs corrected themselves or having the maintenance staff of this community complete the repairs at owner’s expense. The charges will be actual cost.
- If the maintenance staff does the repairs, all bills will be due and payable within 30 days from the date of the invoice. Non-payment of bills will be in violation of lease.
- In rare cases when an animal goes completely out of control and physically attacks or attempts to attack another person or animal on the premises, material or substantial non-compliance with the pet rules and regulations has occurred. Pet must be removed from premise immediately.
Registering with Management
Registration documentation will be updated annually and will be kept in the resident file. Management will notify you when it is time to complete this process and inform you of what is required.
All visiting pets must be cleared with management.
￼Knights of Pythias Retirement Center does not discriminate against applicants, residents or employees on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, sex, national origin, familial status, disability or socio-economic class.
Knights of Pythias Retirement Center does not discriminate on the basis of disability status in the admission or access to, or treatment or employment in, its federally assisted programs and activities. The person named below has been designated to coordinate compliance with the nondiscrimination requirements contained in the Department of Housing and Urban Development’s regulations implementing Section 504 (24 CFR Part 8 dated June 2, 1988): Compliance Manager, KOPRC, 3409 Main St, Vancouver, WA 98663, 360-696-4375.
(Policy Revised 8/2016)